Happy Monday Everyone! Yesterday was of course, football Sunday and I finally got to make some football snacks for the boys instead of hulling up in my room studying. I made these Cheesy Quinoa Pizza Bites, which were so good we killed the whole batch in one sitting! Slathered with cheese and dipped in marinara sauce they are a healthy cross between pizza bites and mozzarella sticks which makes them pretty much addicting!
Recipe adapted from fitsugar.com
• 1.5 cups cooked quinoa
• 2 large eggs
• 2 green onions
• 1 cup mozzarella + ~ ½ cup more for topping
• 2 tsp minced garlic
• 1 T dried basil
• 1 small can of sliced black olives
• 1 tsp paprika
• 1 tsp oregano
• 1 tsp dried oregano
• Marinara sauce for dipping (I used Trader Joe’s basil marinara)
1. Cook quinoa according to package directions. Usually you may or may not have to rinse the quinoa, the Costco kind you do not need to rinse. Typically directions include bringing 1 cup of quinoa with 2 cups of water to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until all the water is absorbed. This will yield 3 cups of cooked quinoa at minimum.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Mix together all ingredients except pizza sauce.
4. Using a greased mini muffin tin spoon one heaping tablespoon of mixture into each cup. Push down with back of spoon so that the top of each muffin is flat.
5. Bake for 15 minutes. Pull pan out of the oven, set the oven to broil and top each muffin with a sprinkle of cheese. Place the pan back into the oven and broil for about 60 seconds.
6. Let sit 10 minutes and then heat up marinara sauce for dipping and then enjoy!
For me pizza is all about black olives and cheese, but feel free to add your favorite toppings. These would be perfect to freeze for a quick after school snack as a healthy substitute for something like bagel bites. They are also a perfect appetizer to bring to your next football party!
Love healthy food in mini bite form? Check out these recipes below!